Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Perfect Stroller- Kolcraft Contours Options LT



When my first child was born I got a jogging stroller and used it for jogging and nothing else. I didn't even own an umbrella stroller. Instead I just wore my baby everywhere. I would see parents at library story time or at the farmers market pushing heavy cumbersome looking strollers and I admit it I scoffed. My baby wearing seemed so much more effective..so much more efficient. My daughter had been walking 2 months when I started seeing the potential appeal of a stroller. I remember the exact day...I took her into a bathroom stall with me, sat down to do my business and stared mouth agape as she slide happily under the stall divider and ran merrily toward the door. We got an umbrella stroller the next day.

Still I didn't really 'get into' strollers. When my second child was born I simply wore them both- my oldest in the Ergo and my little one in a sling. And when the little one was a bit older I switched to wearing her in an Ergo on my front and my oldest in a backpack. Still this utopia in which I did not have to fold and unfold a huge stroller was too good to last.

My youngest started walking and became a vicious hair puller and my oldest, always a 'spirited child', became very excited by running off and hiding from me at every opportunity. Needless to say, I started looking for a stroller and almost immediately, I fell in love with the Baby Jogger City Select Double. The price tag $400, not too bad I though..."oh, no"...the salesman explained with a big grin...you have to buy everything separately-the second seat $100, the car seat adapted $100, the glider board $100, the rain cover $100.....You get the picture. And while I maybe able to rationalize the purchase of a $400 stroller there was no way that I was buying a $1000 stroller. Enter the Kolcraft Contour Options LT- basically the exact same stroller as the City Select at a much lower price point- $270.

Review of the Kolcraft Contours Options LT

1. Does the stroller come with a second seat?
Yes! and what is even cooler is that it folds wit the second seat attached. On the City Select you have to pop  off the second seat to fold it.

2. Is it easy to fold?
Yes, all you have to do is pull up on the release while stepping on the emergency brake and it folds right up. In addition it can stand when folded which is great if you have to move some stuff around in your car before you can throw it in.

3. How much does it weight?
33 lbs with both seats on which is really good for a double (my kid weighs more) but it would be awkward to carry too far.

4. Can it fit in my car?
We have a van and a Honda fit and we have had no problems but I haven't tested it in any other cars. It is not too wide but it does have some height so I am not sure if it would fit in the trunk of a sedan. You can check the dimensions on the Kolcraft website and measure your trunk.

5. Can I attach an infant car seat?
Yes, one comes with the stroller but you can attach two you just have to buy the second car seat adapter.



6. Is it made well?
It seems to be really well made. The recline feature is different than the City Select in that it has levels while the City Select has the pull cord that lets you customize the recline. The sunshades are also a little smaller than the City Select- still tall but not as wide.

7. How is it to maneuver?
It is incredible. I can't tell the difference between this and the City Select at all.

Here are some pictures of mine with the seats in different positions. I love that it has a narrow profile and isn't too long. And I love love love that it is modular.

On a trip to the store yesterday, my kids initially wanted to face each other which was cute until my big one started kicking my little one. I then turned the little one's seat forward (with her in it) which seemed to solve the problem momentarily....then scream scream...the big one was kicking the back of the little one's seat. I then turned the big one's seat to face me... permanently resolving the kicking crisis.

Anyway if you are thinking about getting this stroller and have any questions I'd be happy to tell you about my experience. No one paid me or gave me anything to gush about this stroller. I truly am just really happy with my purchase. Here are some picture of the stroller with the seats in different positions.  


It reminds me of a Transformer- I call mine Bumble Bee. 




















3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am just wondering if the Contours can be used with a stroller board? I have three kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever find out if there was a stroller board you could use? I am also trying to find out as i have 3 kids.

      Delete